Sample Employee Email Policy
Sample Employee Email Policy
The purpose of this policy is set out employee’s responsibilities when using email in their day-to-day working activities.
Acceptable Email Use:
Use of email by [Company Name]’s employees are permitted and encouraged where such use supports the goals and objectives of the business. However, [Company Name] has a policy for the use of emails in that the employee must:
- Comply with current regulations
- Use email in an acceptable way
- Never create an unnecessary business risk to [Company Name] by their misuse of the internet
Unacceptable Email Use:
The following behavior by an employee is considered unacceptable:
- Using a company communications system to set up personal businesses or send chain letters
- Forwarding [Company Name] confidential messages to external locations
- Distributing, publicizing or storing images, text or materials that could be considered indecent, pornographic, obscene or illegal
- Distributing, publicizing or storing images, text or materials that could be considered discriminatory, offensive or abusive, in that it is a personal attack, sexist or racist, or could be considered as harassment
- Accessing copyrighted information in a way that violates the copyright
- Accessing the company’s or another organization’s system or unauthorized use of a password/mailbox
- Introducing any type of computer virus or malware into the corporate network
- Using unsolicited personal views on social, political, religious or other nonbusiness related matters
- Communicating unsolicited commercial or advertising material
- Tasking deliberate activities that waste staff effort or networked resources
[Company Name] accepts that the use of email is an important business tool. However, misuse of this facility can have a negative impact on employee productivity not to mention the reputation of the business.
Also, all of [Company Name]’s email resources are provided for business purposes so the company maintains the right to examine any systems and inspect any data recorded in those systems at any given time.
[Company Name] also reserves the right to use monitoring software in order to checkup on the use and content of emails to ensure compliance with this policy. This monitoring is for legitimate purposes only and will be done in accordance with a procedure agreed with employees.
If it is believed that an employee has failed to comply with this policy, they will face the company’s disciplinary procedure. If the employee is found to have breached the policy, they will face a disciplinary penalty ranging from a verbal warning to dismissal. The actual penalty applied will depend on the factors such as the seriousness of the breach and the employee’s disciplinary record.
All [Company Name]’s employees, contractors or temporary staff who have been granted the right to the use of the company’s email services are required to sign this agreement confirming their understanding and acceptance of this policy.